Thursday, January 10, 2008

A politician, a rabbi and a musician?

Ian's relationship with his teacher at times seems more like she treats him as a peer than a student. They have conversations about what is going on in the world, politics, etc. I am not saying she is inappropriate, it is just funny. He knows who she is voting for for president. Yesterday I got a note home that said... "Ian is interested in Darfur. One day he will make a great president" Sometimes I am just saddened by how grown up he already seems. His friend sent him home with a card with his phone numbers on it. Ian is already calling his friends to chat on the phone. When did my baby become such a big kid? Today phone calls, tomorrow college.

Alex is very interested in the Judaica side of school. He knows all the parshas and really enjoys going to Sunday school (really, are 6 days necessary?) Maybe one day he will be a rabbi.

We are currently reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer at bedtime. Some parts are probably less than appropriate but the boys are really enjoying it. Who am I to stifle that love of learning?

Daniel is getting to be a real character. He is getting into EVERYTHING. He has got a sense of humor and loves to dance. He has a large vocabulary of da-da, ma-ma, doh (dog), ca-ca (means cracker, get your head out of the gutter), and aggie. Ah it is key to make sure that was one of the first words. Will he recite these on demand? No, but if I am trying to get him to be quiet- he won't shut up.

I got to walk to pick Ian up from school today as Alex was at a friends. What a luxury to meander home from school hearing all about what he did. I think it will be really great next year when Ian and Alex are in school together. Is it inappropriate for me to put Daniel in the MDO at the local church as it will cost me half as much as the synagogue? Eventually I will move him over but at 2 does he know the difference?

Well we must go read our Tom Sawyer. Hope you are well.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Ian is a very special kid - wise beyond his years and so extremely intelligent. I have smart, motivated and successful kids, but none of them are as smart and naturally intellectual as Ian. He's just naturally inquisitive and so very mature. He probably *will* be president some day -- or a professor! (He's actually just like Marlon was at his age. See what you have to look forward to! :) (p.s. Marlon wishes just one of our kids was like Ian!)

angela | the painted house said...

My kids both said "ca-ca" as babies...yes, put your mind in the gutter.

Meant to say how adorable that letter was that Ian wrote to Kay Bailey. It will be very interesting to see what he becomes someday!

Our Jewish friends in NC put their kids (ages 1 and 3) in a Christian MDO out of desperation--there is no other options in that small Bible-belt town. I know it bothered her to put them in a program called "Jesus Loves Me" but she has since said that the kids love it. Since it is MDO and not preschool it is a lot of play and not real structured instruction or Christmas-Easter productions etc. You may not want Daniel coming home and singing, "Happy Birthday, Baby Jesus!" like Ashton did from preschool. :)

Anonymous said...

You are going to hell :) Just kidding.