Saturday, October 04, 2008

The Perfect Week

Sorry I am short on pictures for you. This week has been what I would describe as a perfect week thanks to a fantastic sermon by my Rabbi for Rosh Hashanah. I realized how I want to enjoy my children and my husband. I want to enjoy the house and the dogs. I want to enjoy all that god has blessed me with instead of trying to document it. I sat and gazed at my children enjoying how fabulous they are rather than stopping to take a picture. I crawled in bed with all of my kids and my husband last night to cuddle and enjoy each other. The boys and I painted together, we went to the park more than once, and just generally relaxed and had fun.

Daniel has been really enjoying his new school. He begs for his teacher Julie. He is terribly disappointed when he doesn't get to go on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He told me about his new friends he made (one he loves and one loves him). He actually said "I like this school" on Friday when I dropped him off and then "No, I don't want to go" when I picked him up. Even though he loves Julie immensely he seems to love his other teacher as well. It has been a really wonderful transition (even with the two weeks off)

Alex LOVES his class. He is so enthusiastic about learning and his reading has blossomed tremendously (more due to his readiness than the class but still amazing to witness). He is learning at even a faster rate than Ian which was impressive to witness. He has gained a new love of word finds and I just watch him in amazement every day. He also has a wicked sense of humor that frequently keeps me from taking myself too seriously.

And Ian... Speaking of someone who takes themself too seriously. He has done great this week. He has worked on his homework without getting too angry at himself. He has loved returning to soccer, after missing two games. He loves his teacher and proudly brought home an "E" on his conduct. He avidly is following the presidential race, discussing it at length on the playground with fellow Obama-ite Adam. He comes home with all kinds of hysterical comments about McCains poor performance or Biden's obvious wins in the debates. Although I would like to stand by and cheer him on I feel an obligation to make sure he is thinking through what he is repeating back. There should be thought behind those words. But to some extent there is because when I asked him what he disagrees with McCain on he stated "Oh with McCain it is just Iraq, Iraq, Iraq. Come on can't we discuss something else like, oh I don't know, taxes!" I about fell over myself laughing. Truer words never spoken. But, I won't tolerate badmouthing of moral character in my house. I try to make it clear that we may disagree with someone's politics but that doesn't make it right to judge their character. We don't know them and don't have that right.

Anyway. Like I said it was the best week. The beginning of what will hopefully be a wonderful new year.

Tonight Darren is signing up to be a cub scout leader for Ian's den. We will be missing the first campout so Darren is making plans to go on a camping trip with the boys (minus Daniel who is not ready for camping since he is still incapable of going to sleep if he can see another individual. he just pesters you all night)

I spent a little adult time studying my vocabulary for the GRE. I have a long way to go but it was nice to be moving towards my goal again.

Tomorrow we have Tashlich, where we get to toss our sins into the water. Daniel has his first classmate birthday party. Ian has a soccer game. Should be filled with fun.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

I'm glad things are going so well and you are so relaxed and happy after the last stressful week. I sometimes also feel like I'd rather just enjoy the activity that we're doing rather than take pictures of it.

You mention taking the GRE as a way of moving towards your goal. Which goal? Do the on-line art classes also go towards that goal or have you changed the goal? (I just don't want to miss anything.)

I'm sure cub scouts will be great. Marlon was very involved in scouting as a kid and went all the way to Eagle Scouts, but our kids never took a liking to it. Each of them tried it, but it's not that big out here and it wasn't well organized and they just didn't enjoy it, so we didn't pursue it after the one year each. They have MORE than enough activities anyway!

Have a good week.

angela | the painted house said...

Girl, I don't envy you studying for the GRE. Can't you just skip it? Tell 'em, I'm sorry, but I have three kids to take care of so just waive it for me? Maybe it would work? :)

I love Ian's passion for politics and world events. And kudos for you for teaching him to debate kindly--I get so mad at the media and other people who criticize the most ridiculous irrelevant stuff with the candidates--and you know their mommies weren't teaching them like you are.