Monday, September 29, 2008

La Shana Tova

Happy New Year. We didn't go to services tonight because they don't start until 8:15 and I haven't been feeling so hot. We did make a special traditional jewish meal of pizza (ha-ha), lit candles, drank some wine, ate some challah and said the prayers. I boys dressed up and even wore their yalmukahs. It was a really nice moment for the family and a reminder that THIS needs to be part of our Friday night ritual. Do we have to go to synagogue every week? No. But this. This moment to enjoy, relax and thank god for another week together (or another year together), this needs to happen every week.

Okay I am going to bed because I am a bit too reflective and sappy tonight.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Shana Tova to you and the family as well. It is also often our goal to make sure to celebrate Shabbat and celebrate being a family and we sometimes succeed. We do much better on the days that we aren't rushing off to temple as well!

angela | the painted house said...

I remember reading that Moses was leading the Hebrews to the land flowing with milk, honey, and pizza--I'm almost certain. :)

I have written about our woes on finding a church (specifically SDA church) where we are now living. Our efforts for starting a church have stalled for the time being. But I say all this because in the meantime we have been making our own family time on Saturdays for relaxing and reflection like you have just described and it is WONDERFUL. It makes me not ever want to go through the stress again of getting us all dressed up for church and keeping the kids quiet through the service. For this season in our lives it is working.

After what you all have been through, I'm sure this is EXACTLY what you needed last night. And, for the record, I would like to read more when you are feeling sappy. :)

Anonymous said...

I sent you a card but of course I didn't send them until Monday so it will arrive somewhere between Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur (I hope). Anyway, I have a question to pose to anyone who feels like answering it. How do you make religion a part of your kids lives without forcing it on them? Brandon HATES going to synagogue and sunday school. It is a constant battle and he keeps saying that he shouldn't have to go because he isn't Jewish. I tell him that he is Jewish but he always says "It is my choice isn't it?" And I don't know what to say to that because it is and technically because Shawn is Christian and we haven't decided how to raise the kids, why do I have the right to tell him he has to be Jewish. What do I do? It breaks my heart.

Audrey

Barbara said...

Audrey,

Since Marlon and I are both Jewish, there was no question that our kids would be raised Jewish, but we do have several good friends who are interfaith families. Each of them seems to be handling it differently. One family has a Jewish husband and a catholic wife, but they decided to raise the kids Jewish and told their kids that that was the choice they had made for their family. She still goes to church on her holidays and other occasions, but the kids do not go with her. They do celebrate Christmas with that side of the family, but not in their own home. Their own home is Jewish. The oldest just had his Bar Mitzvah this weekend. A different family that we know is exposing their kids to both religions - christianity and Judaism. The kids go to sunday school but not hebrew school. They also go to the christian sunday school, which is on saturdays. They go to temple only occasionally on friday nights and then they go to church only occasionally on sunday early morning (before sunday school). They celebrate all of the holidays, usually with the different sides of families. they want the kids to experience both religions and have told the kids (who are 10 and 8) that they can choose when they are older. It's nice to expose them to both, but it's actually quite a bit of stuff to go to and it's hard when the kids get busier. We have a hard enough time just getting to temple, sunday school and weekday hebrew school! Finally, a 3rd family I'm thinking of is not going to temple, not going to church, not doing any formal religious education, but celebrates the holidays in a very secular way at home.

I'm sure it's difficult, especially when a child doesn't want to go. Does he have any Jewish friends? Maybe he'd want to go if some of his friends were giong as well or if there was "fun stuff" to do, like youth group, etc.

Although we are only raising our kids Jewish, they have lots of non Jewish friends and have attended services and other things at their churches and feel very comfortable in other places of worship as well.

I think it's great that you want to make sure to expose your kids to the Jewish faith and traditions and make sure that religion - any religion - is an important part of their lives.