I know you are asking yourselves, what the heck happened? Why did they post that LONG political post and drop off the face of the earth? Is it because they are embarrassed? No. Is it because they are swamped? Yep that would be the reason. I struggle getting everything together and not feeling overwhelmed when school begins. I have to get myself into a routine of getting things done like making lunch and picking out clothes the night before. I have to get myself into a routine of nightly homework, now that Ian is in 1st grade. I have to get into the routine of volunteer work, cleaning the house, preparing easier meals, getting the kids to activities, etc. None of this takes particularly long but together it can get out of hand.
What are all these activities we are doing? Not that many. Ian is playing soccer. We will see if he is such a star when playing with 7 and 8 yr olds. His goal is to go to the olympics. Of course he also wants to be the president. Lofty goals! We also just signed him up for Cub Scouts. It is with a bunch of boys from the school and not terribly time consuming. Ian can not wait for the first campout. Daniel and I will sit that out for now. Alex is taking swim lessons. His goal is to be on the swim team next summer. That is what we are working towards. Daniel, well he isn't doing anything. Give him time.
We switched Daniel's school. You know we have loved where we were. I love the teachers and I think they have the best pre-school academic program out there. That having been said, we couldn't get Daniel's asthma under control. We had problems last year but this year in 4 days of classes we got croup, 2 major asthma attacks and a throwing up stomach bug. The new school we are going to has a nurse, is very into cleanliness, is able to easily accommodate food allergies, one of my dearest friends is the teacher and did I mention there is a school nurse?
We took Daniel to school on the first day and apparently Fun Gal Julie lives up to her name because Daniel went in and was "don't let the door hit you on the way out!" Then when Darren went to pick him up he said "Aren't you glad to see me?" Daniel responded "Glad to see Julie" Well there you have it folks. Good choice. Oh and I am excited b/c the woman who taught Ian at 18months old back when we lived in Missouri City is a teacher there to the three year olds. And I adore her. She will be a request for next year. How exciting.
Other than that we have been busy selling all the stuff for the school fundraiser. The boys are really motivated to help the school. Darren is swamped with work. I mean swamped! You know that saying be careful what you wish for? Well Darren that applies to you. You wanted something to do? Now you have something! About 1000 if I remember you correctly.
I am excited that shortly I will begin volunteering on Wednesdays to teach Museum of Natural Science touchboxes to the 1st graders. Some of those Wednesdays I am hoping to help the art teacher. On Monday mornings I am helping Alex's teacher in her class that only leaves me Fridays. Somewhere I am supposed to be finding time to study for the GRE so I can return for my Masters. I guess this bit of teaching will give me an idea if I like teaching full time. The thought of returning to school and work full time scares the daylights out of me. Am I crazy? When I finally have time to myself I am going to take it away? But I also feel like I want to be doing something I am passionate about.
Guess we will see. I have this as a goal but understand that I don't need to rush it. I want to get it right the first time.
Everything else is good. There hasn't been much to photograph so let me find some for you. Till next time.
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Welcome to MY life -- homework, kids' activities (and just wait til they get older when all the activities are at a higher level and thus more time consuming, more intense and more expensive!), volunteering in the classrooms, getting kids fed and lunches packed and out the door on time, etc. etc.
Isn't it great?! :)
It actually IS great, but just sometimes overwhelming I know.
Wait until they have hebrew school twice a week and homework for that and then wait until they are studying for a Bar Mitzvah and then you have to PLAN said Bar Mitzvah and make it fun and nice but keep within a budget!
And wait until you get involved in PTA at the school, which I'm sure you will because you'd be great at planning activities and all that.
As the kids get older, though, you'll do less work in the classrooms because they won't want parents in there once they reach 5th grade and up. The stuff you're doing with ian's class sounds interesting and great and right up your alley.
It DOES get easier as the kids get older. Now mine can make their own breakfasts if they have to, even put together their own lunch, can do their homework more independently with just a little bit of "checking" on some things, etc. I'm finding that I have more time for myself, my work, my exercise, etc. I'm even thinking about joining a daytime mom's Maj Jongg group at temple and thinking about joining the temple choir. I NEVER used to take time for such "frivolities."
Good luck with the new school for Daniel - it sounds good and I know Julie is a great friend of yours.
Looking forward to hearing more....
FINALLY!! I was wondering when your blog would return to discussing ME and/or my family!!!
As you know, I am thrilled to have Daniel and just learned about your connection to Jill. Obviously, this was a good move all around.
REALLYfungaljulie
Post a Comment