Friday, September 05, 2008

Beware !!! Liberal Ranting

Okay everyone, I try not to discuss politics (or religion) too much because I don't want to offend everyone (other than those closest to me). But this is MY BLOG. When my children look back on this as their information about me I want them to know I cared. I want them to know my opinions. I want them to know me. So if you don't want to hear my political nonsense, close the page now. If you have comments (polite please) I am happy to hear them.

That being said...
the republicans are driving me crazy with their skewed view of the world, false accusations/attacks, judgements on those who disagree with them, and unrealistic desires. I need to clear a few things up and ask a few questions of those republicans out there. Sorry that this will seem angry but to be honest I am angry. I am sick of the false allegations and misrepresentations that are out there.

Let us begin with the attacks made by Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin. This was a ridiculous speech designed to misinform people and divert the attention away from all her weaknesses. Does she have so little strengths? Does McCain have so little strengths that the have to spend their entire time in the spotlight attacking Obama instead of letting the public know what they will do and HOW they are going to do it?

Misconception 1:

There are a lot of ties between Obama and what the media is putting out there.

Obama has been above the fray. He never attacked Palin's family but instead said that families should be off limits in politics. He has run a very clean campaign and it is ridiculous that when the media blasts McCain the republicans go out and speak about how the Obama campaign is doing that. Neither campaign controls the media.

All media is liberal and in support of Obama

What about FOX and the News Coorporation. What about the very vocal conservative right wing people like Rush Limbaugh? Those who did not support John McCain until he went and got himself an extreme conservative. It was not only the liberal media bashing McCain.

Misconception 2:
Palin stated: "I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending ... and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress. I told the Congress 'thanks but no thanks' for that Bridge to Nowhere."

Research shows us that as mayor of Wasilla, Palin hired a lobbyist and traveled to Washington annually to support earmarks for the town totaling $27 million. In her two years as governor, Alaska has requested nearly $750 million in special federal spending, by far the largest per-capita request in the nation. How can McCain, who has long been a strong advocate against earmarks, run alongside Palin who until this campaign was not apposed to earmarks? How can the republicans repeatedly call Obama a flip-flopper when their vice-presidential candidate exhibits those same qualities.

Misconception 3:
Palin Stated "There is much to like and admire about our opponent. But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform — not even in the state senate."

How can you say that Obama has not authored a single major law or reform? Does Obama have a more limited record compared to McCain? Of course. Has he authored anything? Heck yeah!

Let us also not forget that for six years, Obama served in a Republican-controlled Senate. He and fellow Democrats only got a fraction of their bills signed into law. During his last two years, Democrats controlled the chamber and he was the go-to guy on a variety of issues (see below).

Let us note Obama's leadership the Lugar-Obama nonproliferation initiative. This law that helps with national security to intercept illegal shipments of weapons of mass destruction and to help destroy conventional weapons stockpiles. Side note: Did you notice that Lugar is a Republican?

What about the legislation that allows the study of racial profiling and requires police to videotape interrogations in murder cases. This was initially a controversial idea but ended up passing the Senate unanimously. Obama worked with those who agreed and disagreed, incorporating other people's suggestions for improving legislation. Does this not count?

He sponsored legislation to bar job and housing discrimination against gays, and he helped create a state version of the earned income tax credit for the poor. Obama also led efforts to reject federal rules that would have put workers' overtime checks in jeopardy.

What about Obama's Ethics Reform? When he was in the political minority, Obama helped write one of the rare ethics laws in a state known for government corruption and worked on welfare reform with Republicans.


So Palin I ask you, how ethical are you to blatantly LIE up in front of the American public.

Misconception 4:
Palin said "The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes, raise payroll taxes, raise investment income taxes, raise the death tax, raise business taxes, and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars."

How can Republicans state that Obama will raise all those taxes without stating that in reality he is only raising the taxes for the main Republican base. A bunch of wealthy, white business owners. What about those in the lower or middle class? What about those that you spoke about needing help putting food on the table and filling their gas tanks.

Whose taxes is Obama raising? He also would raise income taxes, capital gains and dividend taxes on the wealthiest. He would raise payroll taxes on taxpayers with incomes above $250,000, and he would raise corporate taxes. Small businesses that make more than $250,000 a year would see taxes rise. Are those the people having difficulty making ends meet?

Obama would provide $80 billion in tax breaks, mainly for poor workers and the elderly, including tripling the Earned Income Tax Credit for minimum-wage workers and higher credits for larger families.

Misconception 5:
That Palin actually has any experience that qualifies her to be president if something were to happen to John McCain.

Did Palin unite the people of Alaska to create legislation? Yes but let us look at the population. The population is around 670,000 with 70% being white. How hard is it to unite such a homogeneous group of people? This relatively small group of people representing only two major industries would not be difficult to bring together. Ask the mayors of LA, NY, Chicago, Houston and many others if they would like that job.

Statements like "She's the commander of the Alaska National Guard. ... She has been in charge, and she has had national security as one of her primary responsibilities." While governors are in charge of their state guard units, that authority ends whenever those units are called to actual military service. When guard units are deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, for example, they assume those duties under "federal status," which means they report to the Defense Department, not their governors. Alaska's national guard units have a total of about 4,200 personnel, among the smallest of state guard organizations.

Statements like "She's been governor of our largest state, in charge of 20 percent of America's energy supply. Palin is governor of a state that ranks second nationally in crude oil production, but she's no more "responsible" for that resource than President Bush was when he was governor of Texas, another oil-producing state. In fact, her primary power is the ability to tax oil, which she did in concert with the Alaska Legislature. And where Alaska is the largest state in America, McCain could as easily have called it the 47th largest state — by population.

Statements like Palin "got more votes running for mayor of Wasilla, Alaska than Joe Biden got running for president of the United States." Let us look at reality. Palin got 616 votes in the 1996 mayor's election, and got 909 in her 1999 re-election race, for a total of 1,525. Biden dropped out of the race after the Iowa caucuses, but he still got 76,165 votes in 23 states and the District of Columbia where he was on the ballot during the 2008 presidential primaries.

Misconception 6:
"We need change, all right — change from a liberal Washington to a conservative Washington! We have a prescription for every American who wants change in Washington — throw out the big-government liberals, and elect John McCain and Sarah Palin.

Hello, reality check! George W. Bush, a conservative Republican, has been president for nearly eight years. Until last year, Republicans controlled Congress. Only since January 2007 have Democrats have been in charge of the House and Senate. We (democrats) did NOT screw up congress. We are trying to fix it. Republicans are trying to get in on the idea of change because it has worked so well for Obama but the reality they are spouting more of the same. More of the same is wars, economic depression, high gas prices, increased national debt, and a general hatred of Americans throughout the world.

Misconception 7:
Palin is more patriotic because her son is going to Iraq.

First, let me state that having a child that is going to serve our country does not make YOU patriotic. For all we know she didn't want him to go, a logical response from a mother. As an adult she probably had little to do with his decision.

AND I want to remind everyone that the sons of BOTH Vice-presidential nominees are going to Iraq to serve this country. Why aren't the democrats shouting from the roof tops that Biden's son is serving in Iraq as well? Capt. Beau Biden, a Judge Advocate General in the Delaware National Guard and the state's attorney general, is part of the 261st Signal Brigade that has been told to prepare for duty in Iraq in 2008. Let it be noted that Biden could probably gotten out of his duty as the state's attorney general but didn't want out. He is patriotic and wants to serve his country. Sound familiar McCain?

Misconception 8:
McCain is more qualified to run for president because he was a POW for 5+ years.

I am aware that by bringing up this point I will be accused of being unpatriotic but after 7 yrs of having patriotism thrown in my face as a reason not to address reality I will deal with those accusations. There are many MANY people out there that have served our country. There are those that have served as POWs and those that lost limbs and those that suffered tremendously. If being qualified for president is dependent on those qualifications then there are MANY more people out there that should also be running.

This experience has made McCain a great, heroic man but not necessarily a great president.

Misconception 9:

More experience will make you a great president.

If we go by resume then George Bush senior should have been one of the greatest presidents of the 20th century. As you can imagine, I don't agree with this statement. The reality is that there is little correlation between resume and the quality of President someone turns out to be. If I remember correctly Hoover was also a highly qualified individual who took the office and then lead us right into the great depression with no idea how to get us out.

Sometimes part of being a great leader is being able to unite and excite people. There is no question that Obama does this. He has shown that he can help to decrease the hatred other countries feel for us, he has shown that he can motivate people that were previously uninvolved and uninterested in politics, he has shown he has the ability to reach across party lines. A great president can do those things. McCain couldn't even do that in his own party, they became energized by the vice-president.

Misconception 10:
There are large reserves of oil to be found in Alaska and this will make us independent of middle eastern oil.

This is ludicrous. There is no guarantee that oil is there. Ask anyone in the oil industry and they will tell you that. There is never a guarantee. Even if oil is found in Alaska let us also be aware it may not be the levels that we are hoping for and eventually that will run out. Let us find a LONG TERM solution to our energy crisis instead of destroying our environment searching for something that may or may not be there.

And let us be honest about nuclear energy while we are at it. We can't figure out what to do with the nuclear waste from the last 20 yrs.

For once in our lives let us do what is right, what is necessary for the future and may be difficult now. Maybe we will have to live with high gas prices for a little longer. But can't we stop being selfish and ask what will be best for the country 20yrs or 100 yrs from now. Drilling for more oil doesn't solve the problem, it is just a band aid (one that honestly may not be big enough)

Misconception 11:
School Vouchers will help our education system.

School Vouchers are a solution to people wanting to send their kids to private (usually religious) schools and not wanting to have to pay for it. The idea that school vouchers will increase competition and better the school system is absurd. If you pull money out of the already strapped schools, they will not get better. They will close down.

The educational system in this country helped build the strength of our economy. We need to focus on that and making a quality education up through college a priority for our future.

Vouchers will help get rid of the middle class and create a highly defined upper and lower class. The public schools will become available to those that can't afford anything better, for those that don't know how to seek out something better, for those that can't get there kids to a private school.

If you want the schools to get better if you see better schools as a priority don't eliminate their funding, increase it. Provide incentive programs for quality math and sciences. Provide schools with the ability to have quality technology, quality arts programs, quality after school care and quality teachers. Help our schools fix the high drop out rate, increase science education, and make college affordable. We need to increase the number of engineers and scientists that we are graduating every year. I am sorry but MBA's do not drive the economy only creation does. At the heart of creation is the sciences.

Don't spout off that you want to get rid of "bad teachers", instead provide funding to educate those teachers on how to be better. Most teachers began teaching because they want to make a difference. Does it occur to you that their failures may be more due to lack of knowledge, training and support than lack of desire

You have the chance to make our schools great, don't destroy them!

Misconception 12:
Democrats are out to take away all the guns.

Please! Just because I am liberal doesn't mean I want to take away your rights. I understand the value of having a gun. I understand some people hunt. I understand that some people want to protect themselves. I don't have any desire (nor does Obama) to take them from you.

But lets be honest for just a minute. Why are you so opposed to licensing for guns? Please explain this to me. A gun is a violent weapon. You can say that guns don't kill, people kill but the reality is that the purpose of a gun is to kill. Can you kill with a bat, rope or a plastic bag? Yes. Is it as easy? No. You have to have a license in this country to drive a car, to go fishing, to hunt and even to get married. Why not require people to learn about gun safety, to learn how to keep the guns away from children, to learn about the states laws and their rights? How does a better education hurt gun owners. With less gun accidents the negative stigma associated with owning a gun decreases.

My other question is why are you apposed to gun registration? No the purpose is not to come in and take your guns. You must register your car with the state but you aren't concerned that some police officer is going to come take your car. The purpose is to help the police weed out those valid gun owners vs. those that are criminals. Will criminals not register? Yes, but when a police officer pulls them over and they don't have the gun registered then the police have the chance to arrest them and get THAT gun off the street. You can't use the excuse that people won't follow the law as reason to not try. People drive drunk even though it is against the law but it is still against the law and police have the tools to address the problem.

Misconception 13:
Those of us in favor of a pro-choice stance are against family and would abort our own children at every chance we get.

Okay I know this will be the most highly offensive misconception for you republicans. That is why I put it last. I figure if you are still reading at this point you can handle it.

I am pro-choice. I believe in a woman's right to CHOOSE. I believe that we are not in a position to judge others and tell them what to do with their bodies. I don't believe it is murder any more than a birth control pill is.

I have also never had an abortion. I have three beautiful children and even if they had birth defects I would not have gotten rid of them. I feel blessed that God gave them to me.

My question for you is this? Who are you to judge? Who are you to tell a woman she MUST keep that baby but then provide no resources for her during or after pregnancy. What about the child who is pregnant? What about the woman who is raped? What about the family that unexpectantly got pregnant and can't afford it? What about the family that can't afford a special needs child? What about the mother who is honest with herself that she can't deal with that special needs child? What about the mother of 3 whose life is in danger due to the pregnancy?

Where do you draw the line? Why do you get to make that judgement? And if you do have that right why aren't you providing services for them? You want lower taxes? How will you pay for all the care the mother of a disabled child will need throughout the LIFETIME of that child? How will you pay for the prenatal care of that teenager or those who can't afford the medical care? How will you help the family of that mother that died?

Who cares about these children once you have saved them from dying? Is a life with a mother that never wanted you better? Is a life in an abusive family better? Is a life without food or medical care better? Do not judge someone unless you WILL provide all of those services. Those services that you don't want to pay for because you want lower taxes. Do not judge someone unless you have walked in their shoes.

The number one reason I could never vote for a republican is that I don't like the moral judgements placed on me. Just because you believe in your faith doesn't mean my kids should have to learn about it in schools. Just because you feel that something isn't right doesn't make me morally corrupt when I disagree. Just because I don't like the war, doesn't mean I don't support the troups. Don't judge me. Until the republican party can change that attitude, I will always vote Democrat. Let's go back to the days before Reagan and when being a republican was about the issues and less about the moral judgements. Then I am happy to talk about.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

I know Marlon emailed you directly, he doesn't comment on blogs!

Well said, we couldn't agree with you more. You'd fit in well in our house.

I think Marlon sent you a second email with his other idea -- let's give Alaska back to Russia (who needs Alaska anyway??) as long as they promise to take and keep Palin and never let her back in the U.S.!

I'll be interested to see what comments you get from the republicans out there. I'm also anxious to hear how our mother in law, who has always been very smart and a democrat could *possibly* still be supporting McCain and Palin over Obama.

Anonymous said...

Nicole -- I took a look at your political rant on your blog. Excellent ... truly excellent. I'd call it analysis, not rant. What you wrote was more carefully thought through and fact-based than 80-90% of the political
commentary I've been reading. Thanks much for putting that all in one place.

One comment: In misconception number 9, I understand your point, and it is a good
one. Hoover had an exceptional experience base, which as I recall included leading multi-national food relief programs after WW I -- an organizationally and politically unprecedented task at the time. But Hoover could not adapt and simply had no answer for the Great Depression. The only thing we know for certain about the next four years is that we cannot predict the challenges the next president will face. That person's philosophy, experience, and world view will be key to
their response, in ways that we cannot predict. Experience matters ... I would prefer that Obama had a few more years under his belt. But everything I've seen suggests that he's rather unflappable in a crisis, taps highly qualified individual's for key posts, reaches out to persons
with whom he disagrees, and can lead complex, successful, and serious organizations (his campaign, which has proven the most effective and disciplined national campaign of my lifetime.) Your Hoover point
illuminates the importance of world view. John McCain, God bless him, gives every indication of being someone trapped in the world view of the past. This is not dispositive, but Obama's world view seems better suited
to the challenges we are likely to face.

Overall, my comment is minor. Your thoughts are right on the mark, and had to be said. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Nicole, I use to be a liberal Democrat, but now I am conservative (not Republican.) I still have the same negative feelings towards the Republicans, but sorry, I cannot support Obama and Biden. Your list of misconceptions and responses have quite a few straw man arguments in them that are no different than what you are accusing Right wingers of doing.

The reality is that the American People are smart and will vote for the better candidate. Just don't assume it will automatically be Obama. If what you say is true, the American people will decide Obama at the polls. But if McCain wins what will you say about the intelligence of the American people?

Nicole said...

I don't judge the intelligence of the American people. I may think they are wrong but I wouldn't dare call them stupid. If McCain is elected and messes up I guess I can say I told you so but even as I can say I told you so about Bush people are still looking at voting Republican.

You should put your name with the posting, be proud of your opinions!

Anonymous said...

I am not only proud of your writings, but also quite impressed. You have summarized everything we have been discussing over the past few weeks (& more). I too have been so very frustrated & ANGRY. I am also so very disappointed in some of our peers (most of whom happen to be Jewish & send their children to private Jewish schools).

I read a statement put out by the Catholic Democrat Coalition - they are appalled, as well, regarding Palin's statements about community organizing...Something that is supposed to be the core of a "Good Christian." I guess the religion card is pulled out only when convenient.
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Thought you would enjoy. By the way, my husband has been ranting all week and very much appreciated you for taking your turn. I think the two of you could be quite persuasive! He is on a personal mission to convert everyone - he's proud of himself for bringing his mother over to our side and is now working on other friends and family. I have never seen him this passionate and I knew he would love your blog. Nicely written!!! I have been - for the first time EVER - listening to Rush and sean hanity out of sure curiousity of what they heck they could be saying and out of true effort to at least HEAR their side. Its so bogus and ridiculous I want to drive my car off the road! I can now say listening to them is hazardous to my health as I get suicidal/homicidal when I do!
Hope you can watch this.
https://secure.ga4.org/01/pacforachange_stewart/nSp2KjZnqngal?
Marcy

Anonymous said...

Good job. It's a relief to know that I am not the only person left in the entire US who is offended, tremendously so, by the naming of Palin for VP. I don't think there is anything about her or her views that I can find common ground with. It appears that she is in disagreement with absolutely everything I have strong views on. It makes me very uncomfortable to think that she could be that close to being president of the US. And it makes my stomach churn to hear people rallying behind her. I've never felt this strongly AGAINST someone in my entire life. Help to us all...

Nicole said...

http://www.comedycentral.com/videos/index.jhtml?videoId=184086

Unknown said...

Nicole, I don't usually post comments in your blog, because I'm very lucky to see you almost every day and I prefer to talk to you than blog. But that said, I can't agree more with you.
First of all, I was so surprised McCain chose Peggy Hill, I'm sorry Palin (have you ever watched the King of the Hill?) for his running mate. I guess, because he is not considered conservative enough in his own party, he had to choose someone from the right wing. He may be also thinking that he is going to get the vote from the women in this country having her as the second in charge. Well, I consider the female population very smart,so I think that won't make a difference. I followed her speech and it could have been said by GBush, instead of Palin. I'm not saying she is not smart, I'm just saying that Republicans are giving the same old, same speech, same attacks.
Don't be afraid of being considered anti-patriotic or a baby killer. Where I come from,you wouldn't. I just always thought that some american people have a misconception about the meaning of these 2 things. You can love a country without being pro-war and I strongly think that every woman should have the option to choose. It's not OK to have an abortion, but it's OK to have a gun at your house. OOOPS, sorry my son killed yours, while playing together!!. I will never understand this.
For those out there reading this blog, and maybe hesitating who you should vote, please read all these facts Nicole is writing about. This country needs a change, but a real change. The USA is a wonderful place to live, but it can get much better. Listen to Nicole.

Bill Piper said...

Your blog was fairly lengthy and detailed. I’m impressed with the effort you made to write it. But I think you’ve got sucked into the hype. Neither candidate nor party has really addressed how they would help solve the really important issues facing future generations. They may have railed against policies or delineated the problems, but where are the solutions?
This primary and election season has probably illustrated why I think the American system of government and the two party system is broken. Maybe it can be saved somehow, but I wouldn’t know how to start. That is probably what the Congress should be considering rather than all the ear marks and pork about which they love to bicker. I stand with Jefferson. This system was built to be abused and should be scrapped, but I’d like it to be done peacefully and thoughtfully, not like Chavez in Venezuela.
During this election season all of the candidates have concentrated on generalities, sound bites and making themselves look good, especially at the expense of their opponents. This is not what they should be doing. They should be laying out specific strategies to deal with the most important topics of the day.
For the two candidates left there are only a few topics about which I’d like to hear. They should tell me their positions on these topics. Their responses should not contain anything referring to the other candidate’s position. Leave that to the other candidate to express. They should provide details and not details about the problems, but details about their proposed solutions.
The first topic is on energy independence. This is an urgent problem. Without a sound energy policy, this nation is in deep trouble from foreign security to domestic economics. Personally I have turned to T. Boone Pickens for my hints on the solutions. He thinks wind power can be turned into 20% of our energy needs. I don’t know about that but I say that is one prong. And I like the Republican’s vague answer that all sources should be tapped. But the policy must include more. From one source, if we try all everything to increase domestic energy by 2020, we will probably only gain slightly due to increasing domestic demand. An energy tax or carbon tax is probably also needed to spur reduced consumption, but who is going to vote for anybody that suggests that? So I doubt we’ll hear anything substantial about energy from either party.
The second topic is about how to deal with the Middle East and specifically the Muslims that would like to see America and Israel wiped off the face of the earth. And this links closely with topic 1. Neither candidate nor party has addressed anything but a small portion of the issue, Iraq and Afghanistan. I won’t even go into what I think about what is happening in those two countries. What about Pakistan? That country seems to be tottering on the brink and could cause real problems. And the basis of all the problems is Israel versus all the surrounding Muslims who don’t want them there (and we back Israel). This problem is pretty complex so we probably won’t hear much about it either.
Those are probably my top two issues, but the spiraling cost of health care and insurance needs to be addressed too. And I do not want to hear statements like “we need health care for everyone”. We need to set up a system to cut health care costs and then insurance costs will decrease as well. And we know that costs can be cut when Char can get costs at 80% of what insurance rates would have been (if it had been covered). Well this would involve taking on the doctors, hospitals (controlled by the doctors) and big claims settlements (controlled by the lawyers). I guess we won’t hear much about this.
So for me I guess I really don’t care who gets elected. They are both scum bag politicians. Just don’t let them kiss your babies. They may steal their candy.

Bill