So, as you know my camera is broken. I think this weekend I will run out and buy a new cheap camera to get me over my withdrawl. I have been using my new phone camera in the meantime, even getting a couple cute pictures, but I can't figure out how to transfer them to my computer. I will have to work on that. Sorry.
Anyway... Darren and I are looking into the idea of buying some land. This seemed like such a good idea initially but now it is seeming overwhelming. What do we want to do on it? What restrictions do we want? Where do we want it to be?
Darren wants a large chunk of land (5-10+ acres) somewhere within a few hours of Houston. This can be something we have to clear or already cleared. He has the idea that if we want some seclusion we can plant trees. He wants to eventually put a little house on it (of course after we buy the land we will be broke). He wants to be able to plant things and work the land. Maybe build a little fort with the boys (do you remember the trip to the ER when he was cutting wood before the hurricane). He wants to be able to explore with the kids and in general do what we can't do in Houston.
I have concerns... If we buy some property further than say 1.5 hours away, you know not a day trip, where are we going to stay when we go up and play on the land? His response, we can camp. Are you kidding me? We are going to camp all the time for the next 15-20 years until we can afford to put a house/cabin on it?
How are we going to keep up the condition of the land? His response is that we will work it. Really? We pay lawn guys to mow our lawn. We are going to go up and cut back brush or mow 5 acres of land? We don't have enough on our plate?
Do you see the dilemna? Many things we need to work out.
We found a piece of property we both LOVE. I want it. The problem... You have to put a 1700 square foot house on it when you build. Argghhh. Will we have 100,000 to build a house in our lifetime? I don't know. Especially since the land is already at the top of our pricerange. But it really is amazing land. Anyone want to go in on it with us :) For that I might camp :)
Okay, keep your eyes peeled. I will eventually have pictures. We are having tons of fun this weekend but I will tell you more about it tomorrow.
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm thrilled you found land that you both like, but I don't camp for ANYONE (not even Daniel). I am curious to know if Darren "cleared" the tree trunk part off of the fence?
FGJ
sounds exciting. keep us posted.
Darren and shawn can build a log cabin :)
In response to Audrey, I have to ask Darren WHO?? It seems more likely that Nicole would build the cabin while Darren was away on business.
FGJ
Instead of updating your facebook - UPDATE YOUR BLOG!!!!
FGJ
Post a Comment