Thursday, October 19, 2006

Cancer

So a couple nights ago I found another lump in breast (for those of you that remember I found one when pregnant with Alex that had to be removed). Well while discussing this with my Aunt I learned that Ashkenic Jews are more likely to get breast cancer than the general population. Did you know this? Apparantly 1 in 10 ashkenazic jews has the gene suspected of causing breast and ovarian cancer and 85% of those jews with the gene get cancer in their lifetime. I thought that was interesting.

So with that information as well as the knowledge that for the past three generations someone from my fathers family has gotten cancer.... I went to the OB. Although they will do an ultrasound to verify that all is okay, he isn't concerned and thinks it is benign (like the other one) but I get to start having my breast squished into a machine at the ripe old age of thirty rather than later like most women. YIPEE.

But for now all is fine in the Boarnet household and no news is good news :)

That was the days excitement along with the fact that a cold front came threw and the weather is GLORIOUS!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep us posted, but I'm sure it's probably nothing. I, too, worry about the high rate of breast and ovarian cancers in A. jews. Good luck with the mammogram (yes, they are uncomfortable) and the ultrasound and let us know when you get a report.

Love, Barbara

angela | the painted house said...

I can't imagine how scary that is. You are in our prayers...let us know what you find out.