Sunday, March 23, 2008

Vegetarian Again

So I am back to being a vegetarian. I am not completely forcing it on my family- Alex and Darren are definitely carnivores- however I am done with meat. My gag reflex has kicked in and I just can't stand it anymore. It has been fabulous and a friend of mine Angela has inspired me with her amazing cooking. If I start posting some of the stuff I am eating, excuse me. It has been a challenge to create foods the boys can and will eat while still cooking food I will eat and doesn't consume my day to cook. That has left me with a standard meat and two sides as afterthoughts. I go to bed hungry because it wasn't enough to fill me and I am not getting my nutrients. NO MORE. I will create my vegetarian dishes as my main meal and if we want to add a bit of meat for the boys we will. So, to give you an idea of what we are doing...

Saturday - We had the most FABULOUS greens and polenta cakes with black-eyed pea salsa, butternut squash and I served some rotisserie chicken for the boys and jody.
Sunday - I made a great salad where I put beans, radishes, and all kinds of yummy veggies instead of a storebought bagged salad. We ate sweet potatoes, grilled onions and grilled garlic. Darren made the rest of the steaks we had in the freezer.
Monday - we are eating out with my parents
Tuesday - I am making homemade Coffee BBQ sauce as a dip for some veggie chicken nuggets, homemade fries and sweet potato.
Wednesday - Pasta Pesto with Broccoli and another undecided vegetable- probably salad
Thursday - Tacos. We are going to try cooking up the grain Quinoa in taco seasoning and substitute it for meat. Beans and Rice.
Friday - White Bean and Kale Soup
Saturday - Falafel.

I am excited. It seems well rounded and I won't be starving or gagging down my meal. If you have fabulous veggie meals, please feel free to make suggestions.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

The vegetarian eating plan sounds great. I do sometimes cook vegetarian meals, so if I come up with something good, you'll most likely read about it on Angela's "dinner's ready" blog! She should be a great source of recipe inspiration.

Your spring break events sound interesting and fun!

angela | the painted house said...

HOORAY, Nicole! You are off to an amazing start! The greens, polenta, and blackeyed peas sound SOOO GOOD. You have to post the recipe. I am going to try to add more greens to our diet in the way of sauteing or adding to soups. We don't eat enough.

Look forward to hearing how you all do.

Mark&Trent said...

Mark and I tried changing to a vegetarian diet about a year ago. It lasted about 10 days.

Good luck.

Trent