Sunday, March 15, 2009

Busy "B"s Part 2

Okay, Okay... I know you have been waiting for part 2. What did Darren and the boys do while I was running around crazy with Daniel? Sorry to keep you in suspense but I was needing Darren to help me with this and he has been busy and less than cooperative. So, this is my attempt.

Darren woke up with the boys, loaded the car up and headed out to Double Lake Recreation Area. Immediately upon arriving the boys set up their tents and got situated. They lucked out and the weather was beautiful. The exploring then commenced. While most of the other boys played and rode bikes, my boys wanted to explore. They wanted to hike and walk all the way around the lake. There were markers all over where they learned useful facts like which berries the indian's used to make a "black tea" that would "purge" there bodies before battle. They found this really cool that there is something that makes you vomit. I am hoping Darren explained that is called POISON. They learned what poison ivy looks like (luckily not the hard way).

After walking around the lake it was time for lunch, after which they played with their friends from cub scouts for the afternoon. They also prepared for the campfire that night.

The group at dinner together, all you can eat hamburgers and chips (good thing i wasn't there), and then had a campfire where they roasted marshmallows. Then it was time to go back to the tents and go to bed. My men however sat up until the wee hours (9:30pm) playing a new game Darren taught them called "Blackjack" "Hey I am teaching them math" is what Darren explains. When asked what they learned, Alex proudly says "If it is less that 17 you say hit me. If it is more you hold" Ah, those boyscouting trips are so educational :) Now I am teasing him about this but really I think it is a fun great game for them to learn as long at they don't learn the betting. The bigger problem is that he taught them the concept of card counting.

The next morning Darren set his alarm for 6:45 (which really was 5:45 with daylight savings time) to quickly rush out of there in time to make it to Sunday school (Now this isn't because one week they can't miss sunday school, but because it was the purim parade and the boys wanted to go.) Upon waking they brushed teeth, made breakfast, cleaned up and packed everything back into the car. This had to be done as quietly as possible so as not to wake everyone else so early. He made it back in time to get them dropped off and then went back to the house to begin the long list of chores previously mentioned.

He picked the boys up from Sunday School, fed the boys lunch and then immediately went to Ian's soccer game where we all met up and the rest is history.

How was that for a fun filled weekend?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like quite a fun trip. So, when I am heading off to Vegas should I take Ian, Alex or Darren to help me at the Blackjack table?

FGJ

angela | the painted house said...

Great, Blogger just ate my genius comment. :(

So...just know it was great!

And inquired about your garden you are starting...I want to do one, too. But don't know if I have time to get it started before it's too late.

Barbara said...

sounds like a fun time for them. so now is it ok if my own card sharks teach them poker? it's also a great math game!