Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Food Updates

I have been trying to change the eating habits of our family, away from meat products and processed food, ever since my friend Angela (of the painted house blog) went completely vegan in response to her husband being diagnosed with cancer. I will say I think it has been a huge success. I feel so much healthier and my kids have been open to most of the new foods. I have been pleasantly surprised that protein really was a non-issue (thank you to the ladies from The Skinny Bitches book for lots of suggestions). To give you an idea of our foods, I am including the first two weeks of our months menu below:

Sunday March 30- Fish
March 31- Cheesy Herb Stuffed Mushroom with Spinach Fettucine
April 1- Red Beans and Rice with Salad
April 2- Cajun Black Eyed Pea Soup
April 3- Grill Polentas and Polenta with Spagetti Sauce and Cheese
April 4- Mediterranean Pasta Salad
April 5- Black Bean Burgers

Sunday March 6- Fish (no i don't eat the fish but the boys LOVE it)
April 7- Pasta with Roasted Butternut Squash and Shallots
April 8- Vegetable Pot Pie
April 9- Vegetable soup with corn dumplings and spinach and pear salad
April 10- Chickpea Tacos
April 11- Camping (not sure what do for this)
April 12 - Homemade GoatCheese Pizza

I am following Angelas Lead and will begin a separate blog with recipes to what I made. Feel free to post your own ideas (on either blog) and I hope this help those of you trying to eat a little healthier. You can check it out at http://dinnerfor3boys.blogspot.com/

On a side note- Anglea led me to the The Princess PigBear website and I must say that I was really impressed. The way she lives her life and her approach to eating seem right in line with my own. On top of that she takes the most amazing photos!! Feel free to go check it out. She has quite the following.

3 comments:

erin said...

Thanks for participating! Man, I was to come to dinner at YOUR house. YUM! :)

angela | the painted house said...

Yea! I am so happy for you! And no coffee? You are going hardcore.

And, hooray, a food blog too! We can be nerds together. :) I can't wait to see all your recipes. MMM-MMM!

Barbara said...

Sounds great. I look forward to checking out the blog and your recipes. We can all stand to eat healthier. Does that mean you're going to do the cooking for us when we're all together in Texas in July? and no Rudy's?!