Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Painting


I have been painting up a storm to do a painting for Esther and here it is. I haven't decided what I want to do to finish it up. Any ideas? Angela? Anyone know what it is? I will give you a hint -i enjoy painting people.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Ok, you know me - I enjoy art, but am not that good at it, so I never see what other people see. But let me take a guess at this -- the big two part oval shapes are Bernie and Esther, the 4 smaller 2 part oval shapes are Marlon, Jody, Trent and Darren, and the rest of the 2 part oval shapes are the grandkids? Or maybe the spouses and grandkids? (I didn't count them to see how many there were. If they were just the grandkids there would be 6, if it was spouses and grandkids it would be 10. Or what about granddogs? there are about 7 of those, right?)

Am I anywhere near close???

It's a nice painting. What's the occasion - just because??

Barbara said...

p.s. ok, I counted the smaller 2 part oval shapes and there are 6, so definitely the 6 grandkids. One of them is even smaller, so that could be Daniel!

angela | the painted house said...

Oh, I didn't even think about your relative Esther... My first thought was Esther as in Queen Esther. Well, I wanted to reread the story of Esther to try to figure out your depiction--but I haven't done it yet and didn't want to delay anymore with a comment! So please tell us more--current Esther or ancient Esther?

When I pulled up your blog, Ashton was in the room and said, "Look at that cool painting, Mommy!" Yes, indeedileedo!!! I really just love the movement you instill in your paintings. And the variation of scale in this one is nice. I can't help but think of the artist Keith Haring when I see your work. Are you familiar? You should look up the website www.haring.com to see his similiar representation of figure and use of bold lines and shapes. His use of color is also bright like yours.

I'm so happy that you are painting--in the middle of all you are doing for your house, too. Wonder Woman is what you are.

Nicole said...

Why thanks guys. Barbara was right. The painting is titled Generations and it is for my mother-in-law whose name is Esther. It is a painting of Darren's parents, their children and their children's children. Hence the "generations". Glad you like it. Now got to go look at that website you referred me to .

Nicole said...

not sure i see the connection between my work and his. He paints a lot of penis' :) Just kidding - I can see the connection of bold strokes and bright colors just a little less falic. :)

Barbara said...

Wow - I was right! How cool that I was right. It's a great painting. I wouldn't have guessed if you hadn't said that you like to paint people.

Anonymous said...

I knew right away what the painting was of and it is fabulous! You should really take a picture and post on the blog the one you showed me of motherhood (the pregnant lady) while I was down there.

angela | the painted house said...

Yeah, I should have warned you about the popular Haring "subject." So far I haven't seen anything resembling a penis in your work, but I will keep looking.

Nicole said...

Darren said if Haring has made a good living painting penis' that I should get cracking and paint a few :)