Sunday, June 15, 2008

Park City Day 3

Today after a tremendous amount of begging by the boys we returned to the Olympic Park in Park City. It was sooooo much fun.

We began in the Museum.
Alex's attempt at skiing like an olympian
And they are off in the races.
Learning about ski jumping.
Daddy and Daniel have a race of their own.
Who knew Darren helped carry the olympic torch?

The boys got to go down the slide.
"This European-style alpine slide is the first of its kind in North America. It is a state-of-the-art steel track and will allow riders to weave down a narrow course that concludes at the base of the K-64 ski jump. Experience what it's like to slide down a track like a luge, skeleton or bobsled athlete!" This was a tremendous amount of fun. We had to go in shifts as Daniel was too little.

This is the ski jump practice area. I doon't know if you can see those lines at the top but that is the zip line. You have to take the ski lift to get up to the incredibly high top for the alpine slide and zip line.
This is Alex and I going down the slide. I stopped to take this picture, of course Alex wanted to go faster than I was willing
Here is Alex.
Darren and Ian coming down the slide.
Still coming.
And they are done. Does Ian look like he had fun?

Darren and I went down the zip lines.

"If you are looking for the World’s Steepest Zipline, you can only find it at the Utah Olympic Park. Fly down the Xtreme Zip at 50 miles per hour along the K 120 ski jumping hill. Experience the sensation of ski jumping as you zip down a cable in a harness to the base of the ski jumps. "

That was a lot of fun and quite a rush. Makes you want to go sky diving. This all being said by someone who is terrified of heights and had a minor panic attack going up the ski lift. Also, be warned if you ever go.... The scariest part for me is the big green button that I thought opens the door to drop you this great distance. Apparently the button signals something to those down below. It DOES NOT open the door. I found this out as I was not strapped in at all but sitting in the seat when he pushed the button. I panicked, grabbed on for dear life and my entire body slammed into the door. This made me look like a complete fool and I proceeded to yell at the guy for scaring me half to death.

I am about to go on the shorter of the two zip lines to get up the courage to go down the larger one.
Going up the ski lift (hopefully not to fall to my death)
And I am zipping down!

Here is my video of Darren going down the zipline.




Now HERE is Darren's video of me going down the zipline. And you wonder why I take the pictures in our house.


Now for a funny bit of story...Generally speaking we don't spell things anymore in our house now that Ian can spell but sometimes you fall back on it as an old habit. I about died when tonight Darren decided that the way to help his exhaustion was to get a beer and being the considerate husband he asked me:
D: "Nicole I am going to get a B-E-R would you like one?"
N: "What?"
D: "I am going to get a B-E-R would you like one?"
I: "You are getting a bear?"
N: "Darren, it is spelled B-E-E-R."
Gotta love him, and he is all mine!

Now, unbelievably the second half of the day.


Ready to hike up Deer Valley's ski trail?
Alex stopping to collect some rocks (this was a pain to bring home)
Darren with Daniel and Alex
Daniel is FINALLY off Darren's back.
But still connected to us (notice the home made leash as I couldn't find the one I bought?)
Ian and Alex stopping for a snack.
My lovely husband.
Alex and Oh my goodness what is this??? ME!
Daniel is really enjoying himself.
Hiking...
Still hiking...
Oh we found some stairs, but still going up.
I think this is as high as we got... If you look bast the ski lift, to the parking lot below that building, that is where we began. Not bad for a bunch of Houstonians!

Now we begin the long decent down.
We deserve some icecream treats...
Could Daniel be any happier about this?

No comments: