Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Haircuts, Smoking and More

Well the boys got their hair cut this week. I convinced Ian he didn't want his hair shaved off. I don't know why he likes the bald look. So he sits down with the barber and says "I would like my hair cut as short as possible without making it spiky on top" He is such a big boy. Then when the guy was finishing up cutting the bottom and going to move to the top Ian says "That is good enough on the sides, you can cut the top now" Seriously is this child 5 or 50?

Alex also got his hair cut. He wanted it "Just like Curious George, short with three hairs sticking up" I couldn't believe the barber didn't bust out laughing. So he tried to do what Alex asked by leaving the front a bit longer and styling it where it was sticking up. That seemed to make Alex happy. Of course I don't go through the effort of styling it so, it sits down.

Daniel starting Green Peas at dinner last night. Yummmm...

And Ian wants to know why he can't smoke. Seriously. How many people have to have these conversations with five year olds? Why is it bad for you? Can't he just start and stop later? (hard to explain addictive to a 5 yr old) Why does it smell? Can't the smell just come out when you wash it? If the cigaretts are bad for you then why did god create them? Why do people make them if they are bad for us? and finally WHY DID GOD GIVE US FREE WILL? (To which Darren replied "Rabbis have been debating that for centuries)

And before you ask, no i don't have any idea why he wants to smoke. I can't think of anyone he knows who smokes...

So what is next? The sex talk. Guess I should prepare.

Oh and we joined the YMCA so I could start taking Yoga classes and working out in hopes that will help me feel a bit better. We will see but the Yoga has me sleeping without sleeping pills and that is a good thing. I have gone almost every day and am really enjoying it.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

When our kids asked about smoking and why people do it if it's bad for you, etc., we just explain, as we do about MANY things, esp now that some of Harrison's friends are doing things that we don't allow, that people can make their own choices and they often make bad ones because their parents didn't love them enough to give them good guidance and teach them right from wrong. So, one day, we were outside a store and someone was smoking. Jacob, who was probably 5 at the time, went up to them and said "I'm really sad for you that your mommy didn't love you enough to teach you about right and wrong and that's why you are choosing to smoke right now and that's why you're going to die really soon of lung cancer." You should have seen the look I got - we hustled away pretty quickly!

And yes, the questions will turn to sex topics very very soon. The kids' next musical theater production is going to be Grease, so we got the DVD and watched it last night. (Great music and dancing, but actually very inappropriate subject matter and content, all of which will be taken out by our directors who didn't want to do the show in the first place but are succumbing to the pressure b/c everyone wants it.) Anyway, during the Greased Lighting song, Harrison asked "mom, what's a pussy wagon." I said "he said "sweety wagon," (the word the director is planning to change it to in our production!) I thought he'd just accept it... sometimes lyrics are hard to decipher in a song, but, no, he had to listen to it again and again to make sure that Danny was really saying "pussy wagon" and then press us to tell him what it was because he knows that's what he was saying!

angela | the painted house said...

Your kids are such thinkers! I love the Sarah comment...don't you love it when they tell you you're misinformed?

I'll never forget the first time Ashton noticed a smoker. He was shocked by the smoke coming out of the woman's mouth. He couldn't understand why the person was doing it!

Oh, the sex talk...I'll just send my kids to my mother. She LOVES talking about it.

Anonymous said...

Get the book Dr. Dog...he won't want to smoke anymore.