Monday, January 08, 2007

You heard it right. Scarlet Fever

I usually don't do a blow by blow of my day but this is going to be the only way I can do this today.

Every 2 hrs. last night Daniel wants to nurse. Every 4 hrs. i go in and give Alex more Tylenol to keep his fever of 102 down to the low 100s.

At 3:30 a.m. Alex decides the Tylenol does not sit well with him and gets out of bed crying about how much his stomach hurts. I ask Darren to help me as I am exhausted and Darren proceeds to be his usual grouchy middle of the night self and get frustrated with Alex b/c he wants to sit on the toilet not stand leaning over the toilet to throw up. Not thinking that this is a three year old who just is miserable. So I have to go sit with Alex balling about his stomach until he throws up a bunch of post-nasal drip and tylenol. I am trying not to throw up smelling his throw up. Now his stomach feels better so he wants me to lay down with him. No he doesn't want to lay in his bed but on the couch (which I have to clear all the clean, folded laundry off of). No he doesn't want me to lay with him he wants Darren to so at 4:30 a.m. Darren curls up on the couch with Alex - which he describes as a heater that keeps kicking you.

5:00 a.m. I have finally fallen asleep and Daniel wakes up wanting to nurse.
6:00 a.m. Daniel wakes up and wants to nurse
6:30 a.m. Darren wakes up on the couch and has to get ready for work so he tells Alex to crawl in bed with me. So of course now I can't sleep b/c I have the hot, kicking heater in my bed.
7:00 a.m. Ian and Daniel are now awake.

I proceed to try to pack Ian's lunch, make eggs as I am hoping they will be easy on Alex's stomach and then nurse Daniel

I am really struggling and somehow in my dizziness manage to get Ian dressed, get Daniel dressed, get myself dress (no shower), arrange an 11:00 doctors appointment for me, get a 3:00 appointment for alex, grab a cup of coffee and put an Alex in PJs in the car.

Ian arrives at school 30 minutes late - never has happened before.

We go to my doctors appointment and spend the next 2 1/2 hours at my doctor. That was fun. My dizziness could be caused from inner ear but to do the 2 hour miserable test where they do fun stuff like shoot water into your ears I must be off all the medicine that is keeping me remotely sane - ie. medicine to help me sleep, medicine to help with diziness and congestion and allergies. All of it. He also thinks that my sleeping medicine may be making me sick as I have been taking it for so long and I should go to a sleep specialist.

Right!! like I have an entire evening for a sleep study...

Then Alex doesn't eat lunch (did I mention he didn't eat breakfast or dinner last night). He has now broken out in a rash all over his body which itches. Then we drive home for an attempted nap where I am sobbing from stress and exhaustion.

Alex falls asleep and I have to wake him up to leave to pick Ian up and take them all to the doctor. Which he doesn't love and now he is cranky. I forgot to grab his shoes to put back on him and forgot to grab my moby wrap.

I pick up Ian at school and then take all three boys to the doctor.

Ian first - looks great but you know how we promised you that you wouldn't have to get a shot. Well two weeks ago they came up with a new vaccine for you to get - crying.

Alex second - looks bad. You have scarlet fever. WHAT!! Do people still get that? Does it kill him? Oh it is caused by the same virus as strep. Because you can't hold down your medicines you will get a shot - crying.

Daniel - you look great. You have to get four shots but due to the really bad reaction you had to one part of your vaccine that one is out so you won't get that one but it is still four shots and now we just hope you aren't exposed to whooping cough - crying.

Mom- yep your throat is red so be aware that you may have it also.

So Alex is now in the stroller - b/c he can't walk due to the fact that I forgot to pack his shoes. Daniel is being held b/c, well he can't walk. Ian is hanging on my back with his arms around my neck b/c his leg hurts too bad to walk. AND THEY ARE ALL CRYING.

To top it off, no one offers to open a door for me. REALLY!!!!

We stopped by Whole Foods to get them treats to make them feel better and I can't drive thru anywhere b/c Alex only wants Chocolate pudding - which he didn't even eat. So while getting everyone out of the car I notice scarves for sale at the Berkinstock store and did the one thing I am proud of today. I bought a scarve, tied it up and stuck Daniel in it so that my hands were once again free - and now Ian can apparantly walk. WOOHOO

We got treats and headed home where I put a movie on and talked on the phone until Darren got home. On time I might say after the "you had better be home on time, not one minute late, even if you have to leave work three hours early and drive over dead bodies" threat.

Alex actually ate dinner - first meal since lunch yesterday. And I had to rub his entire body with Calamine Lotion b/c apparantly the rash itches. Oh and supposedly in 10 days the entire area where he has a rash (ie. the entire body) will peel. Fun. I guess our first swim lesson which is Wednesday we will be skipping. ARGHH!

Well on that note. I think I will crawl in bed. Toodles. How was your day :)

2 comments:

angela | the painted house said...

HOLY COW! And, Scarlet Fever to top it all off. How did you do it??? Amazing.

Anonymous said...

It really erks me that no one offers to help out anymore. Where has all the chivalry gone?