Monday, July 28, 2008

Arts Monday - Messy Art

Daniel and I have been practicing our messy art ideas for his 2nd birthday party with the messy theme. So we are going to have a little fun with this on Arts Monday. Ideas anyone? I will post a link to your blog if you email me that you have posted some ideas on your blog. nicole@nicolespalette.com

My ideas?
1.) We love to line up the paper outside and go to town with whatever crafts we have on hand. At the moment we have tons of art and do-a-dot kits so that is what we took outside. These were supposed to be our birthday invitations but when I left them outside to dry it rained! So, I need to start over.



We find it especially fun to paint his feet and have him walk around. Or fling the paint .



2.) We love Goo. Need the recipe?


What you need:
8 ounces of white glue.
Acrylic paint (only if you want)
Several cups of water
Borax laundry booster
Large airtight container


a.) Combine the glue, 4 to 5 tbl of acrylic paint ( we don't do the acrylic paint b/c I am fine with the goo being white!)
b.) In a separate bowl, mix together 1 tbl of borax and 1/4 cup of water.
c.) Pour the borax mixture into the glue mixture and stir until a blob forms. Don't worry if the blob looks a little stringy; it will smooth out on its own.
d.) Remove the blob from the mixture, press it into a ball, and place it in the container.
e.) Make another batch of the borax and water and pout it into the remaining glue mixture, forming another blob.
f.) repeat this process until all of the glue mixture is gone.

3.) Little guys? Put them in their high chair with some pudding.
4.) Anything tactile. Feathers, pom-poms, glitter all work well with paper and glue (making it messy)

5.) Make some play-doh

2+cups white flour (cheap stuff)
1/2 cup salt
1 cup warm/hot tap water
1 tsp oil
koolaid for color (or tempera paint, or glitter, or whatever dyes you have around). I used koolaid.

mix dry stuff, mix koolaid with water, add wet to dry, stir. knead in enough extra flour so it's not sticky anymore. store in a bag at room temp (for months and months).

6.) Sand Art. Get some sand. Create designs on the paper with glue. Sprinkle the sand onto the paper. You could make a seascape or an abstract.

7.) I plan on making some noodles and putting them in the kiddie pool with Daniel. How fun is that? Not really art but fun :)

8.) I read this online but I haven't tried it yet. It does look fun. Anyone want to try it and let me know how it works?
Spread a large sheet of craft paper on the ground. Measure one tablespoon of baking soda into the center of a square of toilet paper, fold it into a bundle, and tuck it into one corner of a sandwich-size zip-top bag. Help your child mix one-third cup of white vinegar with one tablespoon of tempera paint; pour into the opposite corner of the bag. Seal quickly, leaving a little air in the bag, and shake slightly to mix. Set it on the paper, then stand back. The bag will quickly puff up like a pillow, then pop, leaving an inkblot-style masterpiece.

9.) Tie Die. Go visit this great website for supplies. http://www.dharmatrading.com/topnav/clothing/

I could go on and on but my boys would like to eat lunch some time today. So until next week :)

And some photos from making musical instruments...
Daniel always ends up messy.
Alex beats to his own drum so he creates...
A 3 musketeers hat!
Ian made up this design for a guitar. Sticking with our beetles theme.
Alex even made Daniel a 3 musketeers hat.
A tambourine.
The guitar
maracas - the key is being able to let your kids create. NOT follow your exact instructions.

On another note. I love to peruse hobby lobby and other craft centers. you never know when you are going for find a deal. For $1 I got these make your own crafts. I bought them for a plane ride but we never got to them. Very fun. Then fun to play with when we have finished them.





Finally, my own artwork. I was inspire recently to create an ABC painting. I am not going to actually write the abcs but I am creating fun designs for each letter. This is the very beginning. Any suggestions for some letters? As you can see we have A-Apple, B-Bee, C-Clouds, H-Heart.



What have you been up to?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like fun! I want to come play!

White Hot Magik said...

I had tried goo last week, lots of fun. Now I need to try #8.

angela | the painted house said...

You are such a good artist mommy. I love that Daniel's romper matches his art in the first photos.

I love your ABC grid. Do you have plans for it?

Nicole said...

Thanks for all the nice compliments. We really do enjoy our art projects.

I don't really have plans for the ABC grid angela. Just to finish. I am notoreously (did I spell that right?) bad at being intimidated by not having something turn out the way I want and then not finishing it. Or there is always the side tracked by kids.

Any suggestions on what I should do with it? Hang it in Daniel's room? Sell it? Auction it? Hey maybe I will give it away on the blog?? Who knows. :)

Heidi said...

You are so creative, that's awesome. I wish I had that much talent, I did potato painting once with my daughter, other than that we stick to play dough....