Monday, July 28, 2008

Food and Friends. Bullying, Books and Biking

Do you forgive me, my blogging friends? So much has taken place at our house but I have not shared it with you. Now for a little game of catch-up.

Last weekend we had one of Darren's colleague's, his wife (also one of Darren's colleagues) and their daughter over for dinner. In true Nicole style, I cooked way too much food. But it was lots of fun and a huge success. I love when I have the time to cook a really great meal.



The boys went to a sports camp this week, at a local synagogue. I liked the instructor a lot but I really didn't like the kids who attended. There were a lot of bullies. I made the mistake of creating sandwiches shaped like monkeys for their first day of camp. They were picked on and made fun of to the extent that Alex refused to eat his lunch.


The camp played the game of "make a kick me sign and put it on peoples backs." Now I am pretty flexible when it comes to sports. I don't hate dodgeball even though kids can get hurt. I enjoy a good game of kickball. But... does kick me count a sport that should be played in sports camp? Why isn't someone stepping in to say this is unacceptable? Why are the counselors playing it?

Then on Tuesday I learned Ian had an encounter with another camper. They were playing capture the flag and in an attempt the capture the flag Ian tripped and took down both himself and the other camper. This resulted in the camper getting up and hitting Ian. Now to give the camp credit they do seem to have taken care of the problem. However... they never contacted me. They wouldn't have shared this with me if they didn't think I already new when I brought up our bullying problems. Don't you think I deserve a phone call if my child gets hit by someone, regardless of their size, at camp? It just makes me angry to think about it.

On to more pleasant thoughts. Camp is over.

Daniel and I went to with our friend Cyndy to another friend Alice's house. They bought a bunch of chickens and made a chicken coop.


What two year old doesn't want to visit chickens?




Don't you love when you see someone wearing their baby? You can just feel the love.


Here is Daniel trying to feed the chickens grass.

Cyndy with Taylor and Daniel

Hey, get out of the chicken coop!

We had a lot of fun. Daniel got to play with his friends and this helped to keep his mind off of the fact that the boys weren't around.

We read every night before the boys go to bed! Here is Darren with all three of them. I couldn't resist the photo op.


And last but not least!
Ian can now officially ride a bike WITHOUT training wheels. He can't start himself. He can't turn but he can GO. Very exciting stuff.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Congrats to Ian. Losing teeth, no training wheels, starting first grade... he's really growing up. Please tell him we have not forgotten about his postcards and we will get to them!

The problems with the camp do sound unacceptable. I can't imagine why they'd play a game called "kick me." That's just ridiculous. And at a synaogugue? I would definitey complain.

The bullying sounds terrible too. Tell Ian and Alex that those kids are probably just jealous that THEIR moms aren't creative enough to make such great sandwiches. Tell them that my kids would proudly take such a lunch to school - even MIDDLE school - and their friends would think they were great! The problem was with those particular kids, not with the sandwiches!

Thanks for the newsy update!

angela | the painted house said...

Oh, that monkey sandwich is ADORABLE! Those tale from camp tick me off! Certainly my least favorite thing about the kids getting older is encountering mean kids.

Clayton helped Ashton learn his two-wheeler this week, too! Congrats, Ian!