Monday, August 18, 2008

Arts Monday - Coffee Filter Flowers

Okay this is pretty standard pre-school arts and crafts but it was fun so I thought I would share.

I was even on the ball this time and could share pictures of this weeks project THIS WEEK. Usually you get last weeks project this week and just an idea with promises of photos for next week. Wow. I am so proud of myself.

We started with coffee filters that I just ran and grabbed from my pantry. With some washable markers we started coloring, whatever designs inspired them.

Here is Alex at the beginning.
Ian has finished one half of his filter.
Ian continues to pain staking design his filters.
Daniel liked to color (his is orange and white) some but mostly we just try to keep him out of everyone else's way. Oh, by the way, notice how we are always still in our pajamas when we do arts and crafts. Why bother getting dressed if you are just going to make a mess?
Then once everyone was finished coloring we sprayed each of the coffee filters with water. If you don't have water you could just drip water on them. It creates a cool almost tie dyed effect. Lay them out to dry. If they get too wet they will rip, but if they rip it isn't the end of the world. You can work with it.

Lay them out to dry. Someplace that if they marker leaks everywhere it is okay. I know it says washable but not always.

When it is dry just twist it up into whatever design you want. We used some pipe cleaners we had on hand as the stems but you could use anything. We filled a real flower vase with some confetti and VOILA!



My new centerpiece for the dinner table.

2 comments:

Barbara said...

They look great! I remember doing those with the kinds when they were younger.

Dee Light said...

This is a great activity, I used to make them with my daughter when she was younger. I love your blog lots of fun stuff.